Tomás Cabreira Secondary School (High School)
37° 0' 58.1" N, 7° 55' 41.6" W
Faro National Lyceum
Faro Central Lyceum
Lyceum of João de Deus
Serpa Pinto Technical and Elementary School
Faro Industrial and Commercial School
Tomás Cabreira High School
In 1898, the classes of Faro National Lyceum (High School) were at the Seminary of Saint Joseph. The number of students was increasing so the City Hall realized the need to find a proper place for the Lyceum. Still, only in 1903 the Government found the land for the construction of a new building.
The site chosen was owned by Modesto Reis and was located between the Paseo Vasco da Gama (now Alameda João de Deus) and Trindade Street. Modesto Reis bowed that part of his land for the construction of the building. However, the construction had many interruptions between 1903 and 1904 due to lack of funding and was only finished in 1908. The first academic year was 1908/1909. This unusual (at the time) school, was built by public works contractor Eduardo Pinto Contreiras. He was a native of Gorjões and construction was his family trade.
The space was still limited and the classes were divided into two shifts. The school had 10 female students by the year of 1910. In 1911, the Faro National Lyceum became the Central Lyceum and classes were extended to include the Supplement Course. Consequently, the number of students increased and thus the lack of space became an even more pressing concern.
The following year, it was proposed to rename it Central Lyceum João de Deus in honor of the Algarve-born poet and educator. The Academic Association of the School was created in 1914. It started to publish newspapers as "The Academic Soul" and "The Spark". 7 years later (1921), additional construction work expanded the building but Physics, Chemistry, Natural Sciences and Geography remained without classrooms. It was not until 1929 that the school name was changed to Lyceum João de Deus.
In 1941 the Ministry of Public Works finally announced the construction of a new building. This construction was urgent because the lack of classrooms and the steadily increasing number of students made the situation difficult. Because there weren't other lyceums in the region, the school name changed again to Faro Central Lyceum in 1947. The next year, the construction of the new building (the current João de Deus High School) was finished and the Lyceum was officially transferred to the new facilities. The old one building where the Lyceum resided for 40 years became the then-recently created Serpa Pinto Technical and Elementary School. On May 31, 1951, next to the elementary school that had been operating, it also integrated Commercial and Industrial education through a merger with the Commercial and Industrial School.
After the revolution and change of government in April 25, 1974, the the Portuguese education system underwent major changes that were put into practice until 1979. The lyceum and techical education were eliminated in 1975 and superseded by the Unified General Courses and the 10th and 11th years (previously 6th and 7th years). Thus, in 1979, the Faro Industrial and Commercial School became the Tomás Cabreira Secondary School (High School), with the 12th grade also covered starting the following year.
In 1986, the Portuguese education system again underwent major changes: the Unified General Courses (7th, 8th and 9th years) became the Basic Education 3th cycle therefore, thus resulting in the Secondary School no longer covering these school years and instead focusing only on secondary education (optional), which included the 10th, 11th and 12th years. This process wasn't immediate because, by then, the new schools (newly built or under construction) didn't have enough capacity for all students of the new 3rd Cycle of Basic Education, so the Tomás Cabreira Secondary School (High School) continued to teach the 9th year of education for a few more years.
From 2009, Secondary Education became mandatory until the age of 18 years and / or its end.
In December 2010 began a major refurbishment of the entire structure of this School to be held until 2012. Several areas / buildings were cleared / demolished to make way for new construction as can be seen in the images / slides above.
The Tomás Cabreira Secondary School, as an institution, begins August 16, 1888 as the Pedro Nunes School of Industrial Design and was estabilished in the actual Município Street.
Prof. José António Pinheiro e Rosa was a teacher at this school between 1967 and 1975.
Prof. Aníbal Cavaco Silva was a student in this building between 1948 and 1950; he was later the Prime Minister of Portugal from 1985 to 1995 and is currently the President since 2006 and until 2016.
Before April 25, 1974, when there was still the Lyceum and Vocational Thechinal Education, social discrimination was rife nation-wide but in Faro there was a peculiar curiosity: the Commercial and Industrial School students nicknamed the Lyceum students the Bifes (the Steaks). The feedback from the Lyceum students was the nickname Costeletas (the Chops) for the Commercial and Industrial School students. Thus was born a new school newspaper: "Os Costeletas"
The works of 2010-2012 began with the demolishment of some buildings; one of these was a pavilion that had various functions including a ballroom. For those who knew it well, this video may not be easy to see (the video work and editing is worthy of a special mention, by Youtube user joaofat).